Sunday 23 December 2007

Where did that come from?

At the readers' Day in Matlock I had the chance to interview a number of people, asking about their relationship to stories. When I got home I started to digest the things I had learned.

One of the interesting things about being a writer is the way input of various kinds can act as a trigger. Well, it was a few days after listening to all those stories about stories that I found myself writing something new. It is a story about my own life. Specifically about my experience of being dyslexic in a non-dyslexic world. I can tell you three things about this new bit of writing.

1) It came out at an extraordinary rate. In the odd moments when I had the chance to write during a two week period, I typed 25,000 words into the computer. That is very fast for me. I am usually much slower.

2) I am only now starting to be able to guess where this writing will take me.

3) I am convinced this started to flow through my mind because of things I heard at the Matlock Readers' Day.

One of the comments on my last posting suggested that 'Escapism' might be a deeper thing than I had previously suspected. This is a good line for me to investigate. Many thanks.

No comments: